Saturday, February 05, 2005

Dining Out- Week of January 29th, 2005

1/29/05


East Side Ovens (second visit)
Bay View- KK, north of Oklahoma

After chatting about the art of muffins I selected a Blueberry Muffin. As it should be- dense, moist and chock full of berries. This place has a simple table in lieu of cases. The attractions here are the large ovens and floor mixers.


Copper Kitchen
Milwaukee- Howell, south of Oklahoma

Egg and Gyro Meat Breakfast Stuffer
A half pita stuffed with eggs and meat is what I pictured for a light breakfast. Instead it was a lot of food! Soft pita grilled to give some texture wrapped around dense but still fluffy eggs seasoned by the gyro meat. An offering of cucumber sauce gave it coolness.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars



Eagle Cafe & Smoothie Bar

Milwaukee- 4th & Wells

Campagnola Panini
Grilled chicken breast, roasted sweet red peppers, provolone, pesto mayo, balsamic vinegar and lettuce.

Let’s have the picture do the review. Find the chicken? Find the peppers? Find the lettuce? Oh, and serving it lukewarm would have been a higher temperature.

Strawberry Banana Mocha Smoothie
A bitter bite, the slightest hint of strawberry and a mild aftertaste of banana.

I brought this panini to their attention and after I had finished it they offered another one. “I don’t need more food”. They ended up giving a dollar back on a $5.84 bill.

1 out of 5 stars


Nessun Dorma
Milwaukee- Riverwest, Weil and Hadley

Sicilian Meatloaf
A soft meat mixture. However the mushrooms, onion, cheese, marinara or capicola did nothing to add to the taste.

Décor: The modest façade houses three rooms with a dozen tables lit by wall sconces showing red walls above light wainscoting or bare brick.
Service: After I placed the order the next time I saw wait staff was 10 minutes after finishing. A cook had brought the order out at least a half hour after ordering.

2 out of 5 stars

1/30/05


Blessings Café (no, I don’t know if this has any religious meaning/connection)
Wauwatosa- 50th & Vliet

Being trigger shy I picked the two dollar Egg & Cheese Croissant Sandwich over the other $6 sandwiches. It was pretty good- buttery, moist with a hefty scrambled egg; although the croissant was limp.

Bya Wi Se Nek
Inside Potawatomi

I’ve been curious about the casino’s buffet, so thought with my fondness for the comfort category called soul food the Sunday night Soul Food Buffet would be a good opportunity to check it out. It was the regular dinner buffet with some soul food added- Cornmeal Crusted Catfish, Sweet Potatoes, Collard Greens, Creamy Macaroni and Cheese, BBQ Pork Ribs, Southern Fried Chicken, Cornbread Stuffing, and Sweet Potato Pie. All in all it was average. The Cajun Pasta was stellar. Braised Turkey was the only bad item. And if anyone knows me I had at least a sliver of all the dessert offerings. I fill up so fast buffets certainly make money on me!

3 out of 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home