Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dining Out- Weekend of June 25th, 2005

SATURDAY IN CHICAGO


The morning started out in Lincolnwood with the oft experienced puzzle of what bakery to get. Pretzels are not common and are a specialty at Schlegl’s Bakery and Café making this decision easier. Thick lace with a dark color and deep taste with a perception of salt inside.



Visiting so many Chicago bakeries I’ve repeated a couple by accident, usually because it is a second location. This was OK at Artemios Bakery. As I turned to ask what was fresh the lady was carrying out a tray and was already offering a flat design imprinted on top cylindar of what amounted to a Mexican biscuit. They managed to give it density and moistness while still being flaky. Scrumptious.



This time I’ve known I’ve been to the Bucktown Red Hen Bread but it was worth the visit to the Lakeview location. The young lady gave a gracious explanation of all the stacks and baskets of goodies. She gave me a Puffin Muffin- a wonderful creation of a cream cheese filled muffin in pie dough. Her favorite Pumpkin Cranberry Scone was my purchase.



Nookies
Old Town


Apple Cranberry Crunch
Sautéed apples, cranberries and granola all in pancake batter

As you’d expect the apples gave sweetness and the granola lent crunch. The berries also gave what you’d expect, but it was pucker-up tart enough to derail these other tastes.


Décor: Really liked the light neutral tones, contemporary fixtures and artwork.
Service: Wish she would have told me a short stack would have brought the $6.95 price to $5.95. What savings.



Can't report on eating here, but it was fun to stroll through two different farmer's markets and see all the fine wares being sold.

2 ½ out of 5 stars



Frontera Grill
River North

Celebrity chef Rick Bayless' celebrated spot.


Sapitos
Trio of Xalapa-style corn mesa cakes- chorizo and plantains, grilled chicken, and scrambled eggs. On a chipotle-black bean sauce with homemade crema and queso fresco

The chorizo/plantain one was amazing with a complex web of tastes. The other two were average. The dark sauce accented visually and added a bit of spice.


Décor: Festive and colorful while still being sophisticated.
Service: Upbeat.

3 ½ out of 5 stars



All hesitation about ordering a Premium Hot Chocolate on an 87 degree day vanished with one sip. Rich, decadent and a meal in itself F212 uses shaved Belgium dark chocolate, which the girl later showed off.



As if I didn’t get my RDA of chocolate the next stop was The Chicago Chocolate Company. “Have some samples”, she said as I walked in. Um, OK. The Chocolate Covered Blueberries were the best and you can’t dismiss the Ruby Reds, Chocolate Covered Peanuts or Chocolate Covered Raisins. I tried to buy a wow-is-that-creamy Old Chicago Cream but she insisted on giving it to me. The purchase ended up being a White Chocolate Covered Old Chicago Pretzel.



The simple things are often the best. Mario’s Italian Lemonade had just a hint of sweetness, just a hint of tartness and just a hint of taste. With chunks of lemon you are reminded this is the real thing. So refreshing on this hot day.



In the Hispanic Pilsen neighborhood a bakery tour de force was granted after asking for a recommendation at El Paraiso Bakery. He enthusiastically gave me a cream cheese filled Mexican-type ‘croissant’ and I left with a Carrot Cake Muffin.



Leo’s Lunchroom
West Town


Grilled Veggie Special
Grilled onion, pepper, tomato, Russian slaw and Muenster on whole wheat

What can I say? How can I convey? Crunchy bread, crisp veggies, creamy slaw, so tasty.


Décor: Lacquer and stain worn off counter, equally worn floor tiles, wood paneling. Cool.
Service: Bad attitude. But the other waitress was noticeably nice.

4 out of 5 stars



Carefully prepared desserts and bakeries fill these cases at Vanille Patisserie making each bite of a Raspberry Pate de Fruit appreciated and concentrated on.



Some of the best ice cream can be discovered at Australian Premium Homemade Ice Cream & Chocolates. I gladly sampled Almond Hazelnut, Banana, Pineapple Sorbet and Coconut Sorbet and chose two types with the incredibly smooth and flavorful Nut Butter Crunch and Pistachio.

I know, this is repetitive, but it was hot out! The Mango Italian Lemonade at the recently relocated Anthony’s Homemade Italian Ice was denser because of less ice crystals. The tropical fruit gave a refreshing natural sweetness.



In Swedish Andersonville on the northside in the Swedish Wikstrom's Gourmet Foods the nice Swedish ladies steered this full foodie away from a sandwich to a very good Tuna Salad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home