Sunday, July 17, 2005

Dining Out- Weekend of July 16th, 2005


Mike’s Café
Cudahy


Strawberry Crepe

This unusually assembled crepe could have been quite good if not for an underlying bitterness.


Décor: How cool is this place?
Service: A lady with an Eastern European accent takes the orders then goes back to the kitchen to cook them.

2 ½ out of 5 stars



G. Groppi Food Market
Bay View


Marguerite Panini (1/2)
Vinegrette, freshly picked basil, tomato and fresh mozzarella balls

The bread alone is enough for much prose. Their press doesn't have ridges so that leaves you with a solid and thick crisp crust that gives way to a chewy interior; made all the better by a dusting of seasonings. But it gets better with the fresh fillings. The scattering of gobs of melted mozzarella, the pungent basil and the fresh juicy tomatoes. And this 7" square beast is a half sandwich!


Décor: Great old time market that has a picnic table in a back courtyard, but I walked down to the lakefront to enjoy.

4 out of 5 stars



I know their pizza is good (and greasy) and finally got around to trying Pizza Shuttle's custard. Although the hot weather was wilting the German Chocolate Cake Custard just like everyone else I dug into the middle to find an intermediate density smoothness. Best of my knowledge I’ve now had custard from every metro Milwaukee place that make it.



El Farol
Milwaukee- 14th & Washington


Alcapurrias
Beef filled plantain fritter

I should have just stuck with this Puerto Rican specialty. For a dollar this dark deep tasting fritter is filled with a mushy and complicated mixture of meat, plantains, peppers, olives, onions, many seasonings and oils.


Arroz Con Gandules
Yellow rice and pigeon beans

Visual anticipation seeing bright yellow rice with the presence of pieces of pork and garlic was thwarted when the taste buds discovered blah and lukewarm. See, I could have saved $3.50, had less leftovers and gave a better rating if this was skipped.


Décor: Restaurant inside a grocery store.
Service: Has anyone seen her?

2 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home