Dining Out- Weekend of October 15th, 2005
SATURDAY IN CHICAGO

You can watch them hand cut donuts down on the South Side at Dat Donuts. Selections include the usual variety or the Big Dat at 9 inches in circumference and 3 inches high. Feeling shrunken I tried to navigate how to take a bite out of this behemoth then a fear occurred that such a monstrosity wouldn’t bake up as well. Worries disappeared by finding a slightly sweet, slight tangy with even the slightest trace of sharpness in a soft and pillowy consistency. Good enough for the favorites list. For better sense of scale:

The Bongo Room
Wicker Park
Pumpkin Carrot Cheesecake Flapjack (1/3 order)
Graham cracker crusted pancake topped with warm vanilla bean cream sauce and cinnamon and sugar crème anglaise
The first moist bites were of just the pancake to see how it was unadorned. Think pumpkin pie crossed with carrot cake. Then toss in the sauces and the sweet meter goes off the chart!
Chocolate Tower French Toast (half order)
Bittersweet chocolate chunk bread stuffed with maple mascarpone and topped with banana crème brulee sauce, bananas and shaved chocolate
Not finding the filling I assumed it was because they use two pieces as some places do for stuffed French toast and I only had one piece. Turns out it was missing since they follow the practice of slitting the bread for the stuffing. To bad because it could have elevated this just above average rendition up a notch. This dish was ALL about chocolate variations: sweet/bitter/dark, temperatures and sauces/solids/bread.
Décor: Cool and uses the old building well.
Service: Resolute.
4 out of 5 stars

Walking into Work of Art Cakes you are treated with attractive displays filled with even more attractive bakery backed by an open kitchen. The nice lady, who was proudly describing their creations, offered me this little goodie. Eyebrows shot up when finding a delicious pistachio filling with a taste greater than this cookie's small size.
Select Cut Steak House
Lakeview East
½ lb. Steakburger
85% lean mix of steak trimmings on a sesame seed bun; served with French fries
After the Chicago Tribune published their list of best burgers I decided to try them all. At this first crack the Trib’s judgment is questioned. Above average this juicy patty featured a charred exterior with an interior varying from tight to mushy. But many other places can beat the taste.
Décor: Maroon and white.
Service: Borderline polished.
3 ½ stars out of 5
It’s felt like summer and--- aw heck, any time of the year is good for ice cream. Chunky tropical Banana Pudding Ice Cream at Tinini.

It’s an artesian bakery, pastry shop, butcher, restaurant, deli and gourmet grocer. The new eatZi's is foodie sensory overload!
The Chicago Diner
Lakeview
Chickin Parmigiana
Breaded seitan strips, marinara, grilled peppers & onions and tofu cheese on Italian baguette; served with mashed potatoes and vegan gravy
A vegetarian Mecca since 1983 I wanted to get an entrée with a meat imitation that could be compared to the real thing. This was actually really good. No confusing it with chicken the breading further helped disguise the taste and texture of this facsimile and was good on its own merits. Decent mashed potatoes with the vegan gravy reminiscent of….water.
Décor: Really is like a diner.
Service: Presumptive.
4 out of 5 stars

Since discovering Chicago’s only custard stand rivals Milwaukee’s and that Scooter's offers a fifty cent toddler cone I’ll be stopping by whenever in the area. Pumpkin on this day.

1 Comments:
You make me want to eat! At least when I read about restaurants in Wisconsin, it's far-fetched for me to think I'll ever be able to eat that food. But when you're profiling food in Chicago, all I can think is, "I can eat that right now if I really want to!"
I actually, now that I think about it, need a restaurant recommendation in Milwaukee, with one condition: it needs to be within walking distance of the Bradley Center. Can you help?
Post a Comment
<< Home