Sunday, November 06, 2005

Dining Out- Weekend of November 5th, 2005


Michaels’s Family Restaurant
Milwaukee- 22nd & Wisconsin


Belgium Waffle

Every so often I need a reminder why I don’t order waffles. Never anywhere as close to the ones I make at home. Decent, but mild.


Décor: Greek family restaurant with a grubbier flair.
Service: Very upbeat.

2 ½ out of 5 stars



In fear of being repetitive and becoming boring I’ll just say if you live in the Milwaukee area and haven’t been to the Milwaukee Public Market yet shame on you.



Roux Brothers
Shorewood


Pecan Smoked Turkey & Andouille Sausage Gumbo
House smoked turkey with pecan wood, andouille, celery, onion, bell pepper and seasonings in a turkey stock thickened with brown roux

Smokiness permeated this whole collection making it the centerpiece of taste. Had a smidgen of spice in the aftertaste.


Alligator Sausage Creole Po’Boy
Iron seared Louisiana alligator-pork blended sausage with Creole tomato sauce, sautéed bell pepper, onions and provolone on French bread

Maybe it was because I was looking forward to a stellar po’boy all week that made this that much more of a disappointment. Fiery spice overtook all the other tastes. Puzzlingly the leftovers were much more mild and allowed the flavors and textures to come through more.

Décor and Service: Take out only; and a couple of really nice guys.

2 ½ out of 5 stars



Alpine Village
Mequon


Alpine Barbequed Spareribs (appetizer portion)

The two fundamentals of meat and sauce hit it right. Meat didn’t fall of the bone but was easily pulled off signifying the right amount of tenderness. Sauce was very earthy and smoky and was worthwhile to mop up with bread.


Décor: Would you believe it looks like an alpine village? They even have a fish pond.
Service: Just the right amount of distance.

3 ½ out of 5 stars

1 Comments:

Blogger mzn said...

Roux Bros is right near me and I've been there only once. Their takeout containers were so flimsy that gumbo spilled all over my car. I'm guessing they've upgraded their containers.

The turkey pecan thing is new and it sounds great. I'm going to give them another try.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home