Dining Out- Weekend of February 19th, 2005- Chicago
SATURDAY IN SE WISCONSIN AND CHICAGOLAND
Scully’s Silver Lake Grill
Silver Lake, Wisconsin
Pancake
When you search the country for the best of something that means you often eat a lot of average versions. Nice local hangout though.
Speaking of looking for the best of- an average Oat Bran Muffin at Old World Bakery in Lake Zurich, Illinois
Egg’lectic Café
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Pecan Roll French Toast
Pecan roll sliced, dipped in a batter of vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, eggs and cream then grilled.
As a sucker for unique French toast I couldn’t resist this over three pages of temptations. The first piece was cold so I moved on to the other one to find a first bite of expected sweetness and then the remaining bites tasting of soggy bread.
Décor: Spacious country Americana.
2 out of 5 stars
Morkes Chocolates in Palantine, Illinois has been churning out the cocoa treats since 1923. I sampled the French Cream invented by Grandpa Morkes which is a center of chocolate, butter and milk dipped in dark chocolate.
Frankly Yours
Schaumburg, Illinois
Hot Dog
Saturday’s foray into Chicago dogs found this one to be hastily assembled with soggy fries.
Deerfields, also in Schaumberg, is a bakery I immediately became fond of. A seemingly mile long glass case of chilled creations and racks of bakery.
Cake Log
Brownie and pistachio buttercream surrounded by chocolate.
As good as you imagine.
I searched the cases at Schaumburg’s Opera Bakery for Chinese bakery I had not tried before and settled on the bittersweet chocolate and walnut Caracas.
Buona Beef
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Buona Beef (mini)
Italian beef is another Chicago staple I’ve searched for the best of and this one was good, but doesn’t compete against Al’s, Mr. Beef or Michael’s Soon-To-Be-Famous
SUNDAY IN CHICAGO
On the way to the city a repeat stop was necessitated at Deerfields for a fresh Banana Nut Muffin.
Lou Mitchell’s
Jackson
Meltaway Pancake
With only pancakes, waffles and omelets on the menu I was confident I was onto a winner. Should have gotten an omelet. I got the coffee cake only because they have a $3 minimum order.
Décor: At the beginning of Route 66, in business since 1923.
Artists Cafe
South Michigan
Taylor Street Breakfast
Scrambled egg, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce on Focaccia bread.
Pillowy bread, fluffy egg, stringy cheese with seasoning added by the marinara. Chicago priced at $6.50.
Décor: Always like to see a counter. A hangout for students, celebs and artists since 1961.
3 out of 5 stars
Eppy’s Deli
Ontario, east of Michigan
White Bean Chicken Chili
A pasty thick delight with abundant and equal amounts of the main ingredients. And super nice people to boot!
Angel Food Bakery
Northcenter
Barthelona Hot Chocolate
Spanish chocolate, whole milk, more chocolate for good measure topped with real whipped cream.
No fat here! Rich, chocolaty and a little sweet. But $3.50?
Jelly Donut Muffin
What a let down to cut into this and find maybe a tablespoon of jelly.
Salmon Cake with Lemon Aioli
Guess it was good; I was still distracted with disappointment over that $2.25 muffin.
Décor: Brightness to drive away a bleak Windy City day.
2 ½ out of 5 stars

It was fun to go into San Miguel Bakery. After looking over the cases I found myself in the back talking to the baker about his creations. He opened up a massive oven to show a huge batch of torta bread; used for the Mexican sandwiches.
I don’t know what my fresh from the oven choice is called. I asked the cashier and she sheepishly replied, “No speak English”.
Murphy’s
Lakeview- on Belmont
Red Hot
Unlike most omnipresent stands this 6 table outfit is more upbeat. This version of a Chicago dog appeared assembled with pride by the friendly counter guy and had a great charred dog.
New Victoria Restaurant
The draw here wasn’t the food but the character of a dive under the El. They actually grill up a decent Hamburger.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home