Sunday, July 31, 2005

Dining Out- Weekend of July 30th, 2005

SATURDAY


Johnny B’s Home Plate
Genoa City, Wisconsin


Homemade Biscuits and Homemade Southern Gravy (1/2 order)

Tall, light and fluffy are usually the adjectives to describe good biscuits. I don’t know what was better with this plate- the gravy or short, dense and moist biscuits. It was willpower for good health that prevented me from eating all the gravy.


Décor and Service: A locals place; but I didn’t feel like an outsider.

4 out of 5 stars



With inviting pastel colors Cakes & Moer in McHenry had some sinful looking brownies and cheesecakes, but they were too large so I fell back on my passion. The Mango Coconut Muffin was light in texture but also light in flavor with only one mango chunk.



Housed in a classic Elgin building the Mexican bakery Pastigel presented a Dark Caramel Empanada featuring that deep sweet flavor.



Growing up in SE Wisconsin I guess we get spoiled. In riverside St. Charles the Fresh Strawberry Custard at Gramp’s Frozen Custard just did not have the richness needed.



What is presumably an old gas station on this St. Charles corner The Jalapeno Grille now serves up Mexican and American food. A Homemade Tamale offered a husk filled with a robust mixture.



Seems Dimples Donuts is the closest thing to a bakery in Batavia.



Geneva is another town along the Fox River and walking into Cocoa Bean you are greeted with a case tantalizing the eyes. The Chocolate Hazelnut Tart was tantalizing to the taste buds.



It’s all about you-know-what at Graham’s Fine Chocolates & Ice Cream in the charming shopping district tucked into a Geneva residential area. I got my chocolate fix with S’mores Ice Cream.



Across the street this long gleaming case in Hahn’s Bakery houses their signature item. The young lady gave me 2 for 1 and I went with her recommendations of Caramel Apple and Original Crumb Cake. Parking myself on a bench a plastic fork delved into the mountain range sugary topping and then into the pound cake-like foundation. Total fun.



In another one of Geneva’s fine old buildings Kernal Fabyan's Gourmet Popcorn Shoppe has a selection of popped creations and the Kernel’s Caramel Pop glistened with the dark sweetness.



Moving down the river and happening upon a Puerto Rican street festival in Aurora this stand provided a very refreshing Aqua De Fresa with its great sweet strawberry taste.



Before leaving town…aha, another bakery. The language barrier prevented me knowing what I had in Central Bakery.



Naperville has a great swanky downtown to walk around and Cookie Dough Creations is a great treat stop. They are known for their Raw Cookie Dough made without eggs so it is safe to eat. I found it to be what you’d think but with a bitter aftertaste. Their Black & White Cookies are a bit better.



Something to drool over besides food. A Ferrari F340 in Naperville.



Chessie’s
Barrington, Illinois


Chicken Mesclun
Grilled chicken, pine nuts, onion, tomato, cucumber, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and balsamic vinaigrette

Being cognizant that I’d eaten poorly all day this was to get protein and greenery. Good boy.


Décor: Housed building that was a dairy then ice company they have three dining areas- train cars, the soaring ceiling area and a formal dining room.
Service: After I got my meal I did a really good impression of an invisible guy.

3 out of 5 stars


SUNDAY


The Flavour House. North Prairie. Apple Strudel. Strudel flavored custard with chunks of apple and bits of pastry. Delicious.


Unincorporated. That is how small Genesee Depot is. But they do have three great food stops- The Union House, Genesee Depot Café and this new place that replaced the relocated Albanese’s Deli. 18 sandwiches, 5 salads, and 9 dinner entrees plus soup and desserts.


CornerStone Restaurant & Deli
Genesee Depot


Portabella Chicken
Grilled chicken breast, portabella mushroom, jack cheese and sun dried tomato mayo on a Kaiser bun.

Bella. This was all about that portabella. The first bite impression is with the meatiness of it then you taste the broth-like juices that make everything else better- the charred chicken, sharp cheese, savory mayo and soaked bun.


Décor: Warm and elegant.
Service: Noticeably friendly. But after a party of 7 came in I became invisible guy again. What am I going to do with my new found powers?

4 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home