Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dining Out- Week of August 1st, 2005


Delafield Inn
Delafield


Fish Chowder

In this rich broth I was able to find some potato and a few threads of fish.


Shrimp Fajita Wrap
Grilled shrimp, sautéed peppers, sautéed onions, romaine, homemade pico de gallo and sour cream

Blah. Fishy with an uneasy texture. The veggies were not crisp as required in a fajita or wrap. The pico de gallo got lost in a pool of mush.


Décor: The vibrant tones of the predecessor, The Prickly Pear, are replaced with characterless flatness. Coincidence it is empty at lunch?
Service: I attempted to tactfully convey my disappointment in the sandwich by questioning the freshness of the shrimp; she didn’t care.
Service, Part 2: After my Stepdad, who had Garlic Shrimp Caeser Salad, and myself got grumbling stomachs shortly after lunch I called to warn a manager they might have bad shrimp. She basically blew me off. No concern, no apology. Leftover shrimp tossed.

1 out of 5 stars



Riverwalk Bistro
Milwaukee- Third Ward


Southwestern Sushi Wrap
House cured salmon, green onions, avocado, roasted peppers, mixed greens and cilantro cream sauce

This was one of my three considerations and then recommended by the waiter. After that last seafood wrap experience I was a bit hesitant. This doubt was replaced by relief on the first bite to find an above average assembly that did indeed bring reminiscences of sushi. I was also pleased to find they were not shy about the amount of salmon used. Each bite gave a different sensation with mildly salty fish, nutty avocado, crunch, and the strong creamy cilantro.


Décor: Inside narrow and long with banquettes dominating. Outside a relaxing patio unfortunately below riverwalk level so no view of that or the river.
Service: A tad hesitant but good.

3 ½ out of 5 stars



Red Pagoda
Milwaukee- 6th & National


Shrimp with Mixed Vegetables
Served with egg drop soup and 2 crab meat Rangoon.

This was the waitress’s suggestion for something healthy and not spicy. Looking at other plates I kind of wished I got something more complex in ingredients; but this was enjoyable with plump shrimp, bright and crisp veggies and a light sauce highlighted by an atypical sweetness. The Rangoon was a let down with a thin filling having a smidgen of imitation crab. A lot of food for $5.25- enough for 4 meals for me!


Décor: Double out-of-place whammy. 1) There are a dozen Mexican restaurants within a short walk of here. 2) The trendy interior is a far cry from the typical Chinese.
Service: Perky with pride in their food.

3 ½ out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home