Dining Out- Week of December 19th, 2005

This tidy little stop is new in Waukesha and for what Argentina’s Bakery lacks in variety they make up for in attractive enticement. The nice young lady with a heavy accent courteously described these goodies and insisted on giving me two for one. Made with guava this has flaky layers and a mild sweetness.
Gus’ International Deli
Milwaukee- Downtown
Taco Salad
So, I decided to get a salad to counter all the bad holiday snacking from the day before and in anticipation of more. It was between a Caeser and taco, both were $5 ($6.75 with chicken). Since the menu was Mexican heavy I decided on the taco and would just not eat most of the cheese and beans. When given the option of beans I said yes thinking this again. The puzzled look on my face hearing a $6.75 total resulted in an explanation that I choose beans- that was more. To add insult to insult the iceburg was the white interior/stalk part, still all clumped together. What a seven dollar rip off. Oh, I barely had any of the cheese, beans or bowl.
Décor: Office building cantina.
Service: Rude.
1 out of 5 stars
Hemingway’s Habana Vieja
Milwaukee- Fifth Ward
Tilapia Asada
Grilled tilapia with onion, tomato and green herbs; served with yellow rice and vegetables
You ever get hesitant with what menu item to pick? You want something that is going to knock your socks off, but sometimes get something that sucks. While this wasn’t the later I was anticipating the former. Nothing wrong with it though. Flaky moist pieces of fish that were really made by the silky almost rich topping. And I liked getting vegetables that were not cooked in butter.

Décor: What a great impression. Nothing like it in Milwaukee. You are first captivated by the massive wood archway and bar. Then you notice the fancy crystal chandeliers, intricate crown molding, drapery and colorful floral arrangements.
Service: All smiles and “sir” this “sir” that.
3 1/2 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home