Dining Out- Georgia 12/27/05 to 1/2/06

I lucked out being able to squeeze one more trip in before the end of the year to see another part of America. This jaunt brought me into Atlanta initiating a road trip canvassing Georgia as confirmed by the above map.
19 restaurants
14 bakeries
8 ice cream shops
3 candy shops
1 soda fountain
11 locations of two Foodie approved chains
3 states
67 towns
2,993 miles
$168 speeding ticket
And the good eats found…..
ATLANTA

You have to cross the tracks, both literally and figuratively, to find Harold’s Barbecue. The seedy ambiance speaks of seriousness for barbecue and a hickory pit can be spied behind the counter. The Pork Sandwich carries that smoke flavor complimented by great sauce.

It’s rare to have a food destination not really for the food. Started in 1928 The Varsity is known for being the largest drive in and its own lingo. As a northerner I used this jargon to order a Yankee Dog, a hot dog with mustard, and then wandered around this multi-level, multi-roomed catacomb.

Silver Skillet Restaurant hit it on two culinary notes- aura and widening of food tastes. The well worn green and yellow décor can’t be faked and I had thought I had ham before. But in the Country Skillet Ham Biscuit it was found to be salty and succulent with a granular tenderness speaking nothing of the pig we are used to.
THE REST OF GEORGIA

With a dozen locations in Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas SweeTreats is a unique concept. They create your own ice cream flavor by placing the base (plain ice cream or yogurt) in a cone shaped container, adding ingredients, and blending it with a corkscrew shaped plunger. At the Marietta town square location I went with banana, coffee and walnuts.
Marietta was also the source of a global bakery tour. Fruit Mince Tart at Australian Bakery Café, a Mexican custard laden bar at the La Sultana Bakery #2 and Brazilian bread laced with cheese at Preso Cevicheria & Mucho Mas.

On the outskirts of alpine themed Helen is a breakfast dish you’d only see in the south at Lynn’s Country Kitchen. Chopped ToTs is just that- broken up tater tots topped with grits. The cook noted I didn’t each much of it and I explained I fill up fast besides it seemed it had a lot of butter. He, the waitresses and other patrons couldn’t understand why someone would be concerned with butter intake. Only in the south….
It took a nanosecond to decide to pull of rural Highway 52 outside Clarkesville when spotting The Country Bake Shoppe perched on the slope in front of a trailer home. Wish I could have discreetly snapped a picture of the sparse kitchen staffed by Mennonites in their simple garb. The Cinnamon Bun was still warm and steamed escaped as I eagerly bit into the sweet and gooey spiral layers.
The Picnic Café & Desserty…. Desserty!? Chocolate Chip Fudge Filled Truffle!? As good as it sounds.

Athens has two culinary destinations both unique in their own regard. The Grit is all about natural and vegetarian. I don’t have to tell you what Wilson’s Soul Food is about.


They’ve probably remodeled once since opening in 1919 and Nu-Way Weiner Stand is still all about the All The Way- a hot dog covered in secret recipe chili sauce, onions and mustard.


I was able to void my regrets about an earlier trip to Savannah which missed The Lady & Sons, helmed by Food Network personality and cookbook author Paula Dean. The experience started with a delightful Hocake and Cheese Biscuit. Even with a menu of entrees and in spite of my small appetite I went with the popular Southern Buffet for the sake of variety. Pictured are fried chicken, fried catfish, grits, creamed corn, collard greens, black-eyed peas, candied yams, mac n cheese, green beans, rice and sausage. Included is a choice for dessert and I went with a super sweet Peach Cobbler. The waitress and nearby diners couldn’t believe this was all I took and that I didn’t even eat it all. They would be further puzzled to learn I was full and uncomfortable the rest of the day!
One can find healthy bakery! A Honey Bran Muffin from Baker’s Pride in a Savannah strip mall.
I was completely enchanted by the coastal town of St. Simons then blown away by the Peach Ice Cream and Beach Sand Ice Cream at St. Simon’s Sweets. The guy modestly explained he makes it from scratch. Stellar job!
Near an Interstate interchange for Brunswick within site of the typical brightly lit fast food joints and gas stations The GA. Pig seems misplaced. Their Chopped Pork on its own honestly isn’t that great but made with a multi-faceted sauce.
Would have pulled over anyway in Tallahassee for a donut, but a sign touting Coconut Kreme Pie and Eggnog Donuts helped make the selection easier in Simply Deli-cious.

The wrap around porch of this house a block off Lumpkin’s town square holds grills and smokers for 4-Way BBQ. I placed my Pork Sandwich order at the window and got “-est”. The tender-est pork with the mellow-est sauce.
A must have Georgian staple is Brunswick Stew. I got my tomato based hearty bowl at Mac’s BBQ in the town made famous by FDR- Warm Springs.

This SOL Biscuit is from Mamie’s Ktichen. SOL stands for streak o’ lean and is a deceiving name since it is fatty bacon.
ATLANTA, AGAIN

A proper southern lunch of meat and two was a must at the venerable Mary Mac's Tea Room, celebrating 60 years. I went with Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce, Sweet Potato Soufflé and Turnip Greens. Bright tasting sauce with a nicely seasoned meat mixture. But that soufflé, oh my oh my.

Quite the pictures, huh? The first of the gleaming Zesto's. The second of their tradition since 1949 Nut Brown Cow- ice cream dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts.
AND LASTLY…THE CHAINS
I discovered unbelievable ice cream at the regional chain Bruster's real ice cream last year in Olive Branch, Mississippi. This time around their stellar flavors continued with Birthday Cake in Jackson; Coffee Cake Stressel and Eggnog in Carollton; and Deep Dish Apple Pie and Winter Wonder in Conyers.

Pitter patter went my heart upon spying the familiar yellow and red Sonic America's Drive-In bow tie logo. Didn’t stop at everyone, only 8 bringing the total to 21 Sonics visited in 11 states with 26 menu items enjoyed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home